Guide: my first triathlon
In order to do a triathlon and also train for it, of course you need the right equipment. The list below sums up the stuff that is crucial to purchase for your first triathlon, but also things that are optional, and which you can purchase later on.
- Swim suit/swim shorts
- Swim cap
- Paddles (for trainings)
- Pullbuoy (for trainings)
- Wetsuit (for open water races)
- Baby oil (for easily putting on and taking off your wetsuit)
- Vaseline (for preventing chafing from your wetsuit)
- A race bike
- Saddle bag
- Bottle cage/bottle
- Spare inner tubes
- Tire levers
- Allen key
- Cycling glasses/sunglasses
- Bike outfit for all weather conditions
- Short pants with seat pad
- Long pants with seat pad/leg warmers
- Bike shirt with back pockets (short/long sleeves)
- Arm warmers
- Bike shoes
- For biking, there is an infinite amount of equipment you can purchase. You can make a race bike as cheap or as expensive as you want; do you want to have aerobars yes or no, or do you even want to have a separate time trial bike for the races? This is completely up to you to choose. For your first year of triathlon the list above is more than sufficient.
- Running shoes (!): if you are looking for a good running shop, Ron for Run is the place to be. If you want to buy a pair of running shoes, you can get a running analysis for measuring the perfect shoe.
- Running pants
- Running shirt
- Cap/sun visor
- Trisuit (you can buy those at FM)
- Sports watch/heart race monitor (optional)
- GPS (optional)
This list looks rather long and there is many stuff to purchase in one time. However, you don’t need to – if you e.g. have no bike yet – buy everything in one time if you just start with triathlon. It is convenient to purchase a bike in the new calendar year, when we approach spring, so you have enough time to participate in the bike practices. Pay attention to the bike discounts: those are just after summer and in the period around Christmas, when all new models arrive and the old ones need to be sold. It is also possible to buy a second hand bike. If you want tips about what bike you need, just ask one of the older FM members.